As a national of one of the member states of the European Union (EU)*, European Economic Area (EEA)* and Switzerland, you have the right to free access to the Slovenian labour market. This means that you can work, be employed or self-employed in Slovenia without a work permit and are in the same position on the labour market as Slovenian nationals. The employment of nationals of these countries therefore cannot be limited in number nor by any other discriminatory conditions.

You can search for job vacancies in Slovenia and elsewhere in Europe on the EURES portal. In addition to job vacancies, the portal also allows you to create a personal jobseeker profile, enter the European jobseekers database, find information on life and work in individual countries etc. You can also find job vacancies on the website of the Employment Service of Slovenia.

In general, you can practice the profession that you are qualified for in any country. This is said to be the case particularly in Europe. But there are also differences between countries. Different requirements (degrees, titles, certificates or other qualifications) might therefore exist in Slovenia to qualify for certain types of employment or to practice a profession as a self-employed person. Verify the requirements for your profession. Also check whether your profession is classified as a so-called regulated* or non-regulated* profession.  This information is available on the website of the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs or the Your Europe portal.

!!! Slovenia has a lot of regulated professions, where special requirements for practice apply.

When you find the job vacancy you are interested in and successfully complete the application process and pass the interview, the employer offers you an employment contract. You have already completed the most important part of formalities, but not all! You still have to acquire the following:

  1. SLOVENIAN TAX ID NUMBER*, which you obtain at the Tax Administration of the Republic of Slovenia (DURS). At every Tax Office, you can submit the completed DR-02 form, which is available at the same office or on the website.
  2. NUMBER OF YOUR SLOVENIAN PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT, which you have to open at one of the Slovenian banks or branches of foreign banks in Slovenia (NLB, Abanka, Sparkasse etc.).
  3. If you are planning to stay in Slovenia for more than three months, you have to apply for a temporary residence permit* or registration certificate at the relevant administrative unite. The permit is usually issued on the basis of your personal identity document, health insurance certificate and proof of employment. You do not need a permit if you will be working as a cross-border worker*.

!!! You can apply for a temporary residence permit only after you have obtained employment.

!!! As the process of obtaining the permit or registration certificate can take up to two months, it is best to lodge your application at the administrative unit as soon as you sign your employment contract.


As a national of one of the member states of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you have the right to emergency or immediately necessary medical treatment during the period of temporary residence in Slovenia, for which you need the European Health Insurance Card* or a Provisional Replacement Certificate. The card or certificate is issued by your country of origin.

As social security systems in Europe vary from country to country, special EU provisions were adopted for their harmonisation. Common rules ensure that you have the same rights to benefits arising from the employment contract in European countries as their citizens.

Everywhere in Europe, common rules therefore guarantee you:

  • sickness and maternity benefits,
  • unemployment and family benefits,
  • accident at work and occupational disease compensation,
  • disability and old-age pension.

The common rules are based on four principles:

  1. While moving within the European Union, you are always insured in accordance with the legislation of one member state. The relevant insurance institute determines which country this is. In general, it is the regulations of the country where you are employed or self-employed that apply.
  2. The principle of equal treatment guarantees you the same rights and obligations as the nationals of the country where you are insured.
  3. If necessary, the contribution period acquired in other EU member states can be taken into account in granting benefits.
  4. Unemployment benefits can be “exported” if you do not live in the country where you are insured.

!!! Common EU regulations do not mean that all countries have the same social security system! They only ensure that you are entitled to the same social security rights in European countries as their nationals.

If you obtain employment in Slovenia, you will therefore be insured under the regulations of the Slovenian social security system. Your employer is required to register you for insurance within 10 days after the beginning of your employment. If you do not obtain employment, the regulations of your country of residence will apply.

You can find more information on social rights in Slovenia on the website of the European Commission.





  1. Božnar, B. (2008). Zaposlovanje tujcev – procedure. (8. 4. 2012)
  2. Data, d. o. o. Zaposlovanje delavcev iz držav članic Evropske unije (8. 4. 2012) 
  3. Državni portal RS. Prost dostop na slovenski trg dela državljanov držav članic EU, EGP in Švicarske konfederacije ter njihovih družinskih članov. (8. 4. 2012)
  4. EURES – Evropski portal za zaposlitveno mobilnost. (8. 4. 2012)
  5. Europe direct. (8. 4. 2012)
  6. Evropska Komisija. Evropa, vaša priložnost. Praktične informacije o poslovanju v Evropi. (8. 4. 2012) 
  7. Evropska komisija. Vaše pravice iz socialne varnosti v Sloveniji. (2011). (8. 4. 2012)
  8. Tvoja Evropa. Delovna dovoljenja. (8. 4. 2012)
  9. Zavod RS za zaposlovanja. Zaposlite delavca iz tujine. (2011). (8. 4. 2012)
  10. Zavod za zaposlovanje. Tuji delavci v Sloveniji. (8. 4.2012)